The City of Reykjavik's main objective in housing is the creation of a diversified and flexible housing market that guarantees an affordable roof for all, regardless of whether people need support with their housing or not.
Powerful Development with Green Thinking
Reykjavík is growing faster than ever when looking at the number of new apartments—and during this growth phase Reykjavik is growing inward. The densification achieves the City's environmental targets climate goals. Our focus is on quality districts and social mixing across the City so we may have a stronger community for the future. These objectives are part of the Green Plan.
The development of housing is in the interest of all groups of society, for the general market, affordable housing for young adults and first buyers, building cooperatives, students, the labor unions, and senior citizens. Particular emphasis is placed on ensuring a safe roof overhead for people with lower incomes at an affordable price.
Status of housing development in the City
What do you want to explore next?
- Construction of premises Where is ongoing housing development?
- Green and economical housing Green and affordable housing for first-time buyers.
- Non-Profit Housing Associations A diverse supply of housing options for all social groups.
- Social Rental Housing Affordable rental housing.
- Housing policy and programme All City residents should have safe and affordable housing.
- Analyses and data on the housing market It is important to base decisions on reasoned analyses.
- Housing Legal Surroundings Acts on Housing Benefits, Rent, and Public Rental Dwellings.
- Subsidies The aim of foundation capital provisions is to improve housing security in Reykjavik.