The Recreation Card

The Recreation Card is a grant system for the recreation of children and adolescents ages 6-18 with legal residence in Reykjavík. The grant amounts to 75,000 kr. a year, and you can use it to pay off some of your child's attendance and exercise fees.

Grant allocation

  • The recreational voucher can be used with Recreation Card affiliates.
  • The allocation for affiliates that do not have a registration system is through Guardians allocate the grant through the system of the affiliate where the child is registered.
  • Allocations are open from January 1 through December 31.
  • The affiliates collect payment in a variety of ways, and it is important that guardians are aware of how affiliates collect payments for their children. Affiliates may decide on their own the end date to allocate the grant each semester so that they may collect the outstanding balance, if any.
Please note that allocation of the Recreation Card is now made exclusively through the affiliates registration systems.
Also note that only legal custodians can view information regarding the grant's balance.

When is my child entitled to a recreational voucher?

If your child reaches the age of six during the year, the child is eligible for a grant from January 1 of that year and until the year the child turns 18. Individuals who are 18 years of age are required to register on their own in order to allocate their grant.

Please note that you cannot transfer your grant between years and you may not transfer it between children. Only parents with the same legal residence as their child can use the grant, and this is done electronically.

Objectives and purpose of the Recreation Card

The aim is for all children and young people in Reykjavík ages 6-18 to be able to participate in recreational activities regardless of their economic and social circumstances. The Recreation Card is intended to increase equality in society and diversity in the practice of sports, arts, and leisure activities.

Please note that you do not need to apply for the grant, it is available under the ID number of a guardian.

Inquiries and/or suggestions

Inquiries, suggestions, or complaints should be sent to the email address