Transfer between preschools

Applications for transfers between City preschools are done through Vala. Keep in mind that in order to have the possibility to change preschools in the fall, you must apply for a transfer before the end of February.

Are you moving between districts within Reykjavík?

If your child needs to change preschools within Reykjavík, apply for a transfer through Vala.

Are you moving to Reykjavík?

If you are planning to move to Reykjavík, you can apply for a preschool place in the City's preschools. Children can start preschool once they have been allocated a place and their legal residence has been transferred to Reykjavík.

Most preschool places are allocated in the spring. If you cannot transfer your legal residence before then, you can contact us and let us know when you plan to move. We can assist you via the email

If you are an eligible student, you can request an exemption from the requirement to have a legal residence in Reykjavík. To do so, you must provide a school certificate and confirmation from your municipality regarding preschool fee payments.

Are you moving away from Reykjavík?

If a child is on the waiting list for a preschool place in another capital area municipality, they can remain in their current preschool for up to 12 months if they do not receive an offer for attendance in the new location.

If child is in the final year of preschool or has a disability and the services the child needs are not available in the new municipality, there is more flexibility with the time limits. Your child does not need to be on a waiting list for the new preschool.

To apply for this exemption, you must fill out a form and send it to

Status on the waiting list if the child gets a spot in a private preschool

As soon as children start at a private preschool, they are removed from the City's waiting list. If you want to remain on the City's waiting list, you must apply for a transfer.

How can we help?

Do you need further assistance or didn't find what you were looking for? The City Service Center can help you by phone at 411 1111, via live chat, and through email at