Online application for building permit

Applying for a building permit in Reykjavík takes place through the application portal of the Housing and Construction Authority (HMS). There, you can fill out the application online and upload blueprints and other supporting documents.

How do I apply?

  • A designer or owner opens a link on or on the city's My Pages. To use My Pages, you must log in with an electronic ID. Instructions for online building permit applications
  • The link directs you to the HMS application portal. To use it, you need to log in with an electronic ID.
  • The applicant enters the requested information and uploads the appropriate supporting documents. The application can be saved and reopened later if any information or documents are missing.
  • To enable other designers or related parties to enter information or upload documents, they must be specifically registered in the application portal.
  • The application is then sent to the Building Commissioner in Reykjavík.
  • Application received! All communication with the Building Commissioner will take place via email.

What supporting documents do I need to submit?

The required supporting documents vary depending on the project. However, you always need to submit the master plans or blueprints, list the structures involved, and register an architect or design manager. Other required documents are highlighted in red in the application. We recommend that you always seek assistance from a professional (architect or designer) if you are unsure about the details that apply to your specific case.

Can I change the application after it has been submitted?

Yes. You can respond to the Building Commissioner's comments and upload updated documents or information. If there are changes to the application's content, you must submit a new building permit application and indicate if the change is related to an approved application.

Do I need to sign the blueprints before submitting them?

You do not need to sign the master plans accompanying the application. Master plans are sent for signature when approval is in place. This is different for secondary plans, which may need to be signed before they are submitted to the application portal.

When do I need to apply for a building permit?

If you plan to alter or construct housing, you often need to apply for a building permit. We recommend that owners always seek assistance from a professional (architect or designer) before undertaking construction and thoroughly familiarize themselves with the relevant provisions of the building regulations.

If you want to consult with a building representative, you can submit an inquiry. If you are unsure whether the construction complies with the zoning plan, you can send an inquiry to the Planning Officer.

Online application for building permit

How do I submit blueprints online?

The Building Commissioner requires blueprints to be combined into as few PDF files as possible. Digital blueprints that need to be signed cannot be larger than 20 MB.

What if I do not have an electronic ID?

You must have en electronic ID for these registrations. You can apply for digital credentials from banks, phone companies, or Auðkenni at Borgartún 31.

I applied on paper; how can I check the status?

Applications submitted on paper before the process was brought online must be completed on paper. If you applied on paper and don't know the status of your application, you can contact the Building Commissioner via

Can I still submit on paper?

No, the main rule is that applications must be processed online, and this is at the request of users. If you are having trouble, you can contact the City's Service Center by phone at 411 1111, via online chat, or through the email at

How can we help?

Do you need further assistance or didn't find what you were looking for?

  • Inquiries and suggestions can be sent to the Building Commissioner's email:
  • The City's Service Center can help with general inquiries by phone at 411 1111, via online chat, and through email at

Inquiries and suggestions can be sent to the Building Commissioner's email: