Indoor air, moisture and mold

The Department of Health advises on moisture and mould in premises.

Moisture problems in houses

May be due to leaks or humid air that condenses, e.g. due to inadequate maintenance, structural defects, or occupant access. Excessive humidity on almost any surface indoors can lead to microbial growth, such as mildew, fungal and bacterial growth. It is therefore important to control indoor humidity. In the event of mould first of all, the cause must be removed, which is to address the moisture problem. Damage must then be repaired and cleaned well.

In the absence of official limit values, Health Canada does not consider everyone to be in need of sampling, but focuses on the reactions outlined above.

When to see your health care provider?

If rental and other residential accommodation are not considered adequate for hygiene or if the accommodation is considered to be sanitary, consult the Environmental Protection Agency's guidelines for indoor air, humidity and mould in residential buildings. It is suggested to review the checklist at the end of this guide, and people can consult the Health Department under Hygiene Ordinance No. 941/2002 if required.

When a complaint is received, the health officer assesses whether there is a need to inspect the affected premises. If a housekeeping inspection is required, the time is predetermined and two health officers will go to the site. This is a visual, contact, and odoroscopy, but the Health Department does not interfere with building materials or take samples. The health department is not authorized to enter people's private homes without permission from the landlord. It is pointed out that an hourly rate is charged for housing inspections.

Rights and obligations of residents, homeowners and landlords

The Multi-Family Houses Act stipulates that the owner is obliged to keep all of his/her private property well in hand. The Housing Act states that tenants are obliged to take good care of the rented premises. It also states what condition it should be in, the tenant's right to state defects and the landlord's obligations to make improvements. Residential buildings or apartment rooms may not be rented if human health is endangered. It is also prohibited to rent out premises to an apartment unless the premises have received the approval of the Building Committee as such. The health inspector is the person who determines whether a residential building is considered to be a danger to health and may prohibit its use.

Heilbrigðiseftirlit Reykjavíkur

  • Borgartún 12, 105 Reykjavík
  • Þjónustuver 411 1111