Specially Marked Parking Spaces


People with disabilities who have reduced mobility and have difficulty getting to and from a public parking space may be eligible for a specially marked parking space at their house. Such parking spaces, commonly called P-parks, are designated at the legal residence of individuals and only on land owned by the City of Reykjavik.

P-parks are not the same as P-cards which you apply for from a district commissioner.

Am I entitled to a P-park?

In order to be eligible for a specially marked P-space you must meet the following conditions:

  • Be a legal resident in Reykjavik.
  • Living with chronic mobility problems and being assessed in need of specially marked parking.
  • The parking space applied for shall be on City land.

A P-park may not be allocated if a parking space is included with the applicant's apartment.

How do I apply for a P-park?

You fill in the application form on My Pages. It also requires the submission of the following supporting documents:

  • Photo of a P-card, issued by a district commissioner.
  • Medical certificate with information on mobility.

A joint ownership agreement may be requested if no information on parking accompanying a property is available.

What happens next?

The application is taken for processing at a Service Center. The Medical Officer of Reykjavík City reviews medical certificates and calls for necessary information from the City’s Department of Environment and Planning, Reykjavík Parking Service, and the Environmental Protection and Planning Directorate, the Parking Fund, the Reykjavik Metropolitan Police.

Following this, an application is accepted or denied at a meeting of a committee composed of representatives from the Departments of Welfare and the Environment and Planning as well as the Medical Officer of Reykjavík City.

If an application is denied and you believe there are factual grounds for exempting you from these rules, you may file a request for an appeal with the Welfare Council Appeal Board.

If an application is accepted, a written agreement is concluded with a provision for notification of the change of circumstances, e.g. if the person moves or no longer has a need for the parking spot. The maximum duration of the contract is 5 years.

Who installs signs at the P-park?

Reykjavik City prepares and installs the signs. The applicant pays for the sign itself, but not the installation. If changes need to be made to the streets or parking lots on City land for the installation of the sign, this is at the expense of Reykjavík City.


Where can I find out more?

For more information, please contact the Reykjavík City Service Center at 411-1111.

  • Call 411 11 11